by Ren Martin, John Wesley Scholar, Class of 2014
Did you know Indiana Wesleyan University has a literary magazine? We do! I should know, because I’m the Editor in Chief. Our magazine is called Caesura, and this year we’re celebrating out 25th year in print. Once a year Caesura publishes creative writing, poetry, and artwork by students. We don’t like reading research papers though, so don’t send them. Otherwise, almost anything goes. Anyone can submit work. A few years ago we published a poem about math. It can happen.
Our highly trained reading panel vets the submissions and chooses the crème de la crème for publication. Even if you’re not sure that your work is anything more than ordinary crème, we want to see it! You may be surprised. We love to encourage new talent and show off your skills to the rest of the university. So submit work! Get your friends to submit work! But we don’t recommend you submit your friend’s work. That’s called plagiarism. You may have read about it once or twice in a syllabus.
Once a year we have a classy poetry reading in the 1920 gallery, complete with snacks. We’d love for you to come, even if you didn’t submit work. It’s a fun time to celebrate everyone’s hard work and get inspired by your peers.
If you want to take part in Caesura as an author or artist, here are some extra submission guidelines:
- Each writer may submit up to 10 pieces, and no (single) submission should exceed 10 pages.
- Each submission should be emailed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org and saved in Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Include your name, IWU address, phone number, and submission titles in the body of the email. Your name should not appear anywhere on your attached submissions.
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOON, FEBRUARY 12, 2014
- Work should be submitted on a CD, saved as either a .tiff or .eps
- Include your name, box number, phone number, and the title of each piece with your submission. (On CD cover/label)
- Each student may submit up to five pieces (keep these on one CD if possible)
- Turn into the Art Office by NOON, FEBRUARY 12, 2014
We can’t wait to see your work! If you want to know when our poetry readings happen, read an occasional submission from past publications, get notified when we’re selling new editions, or really you just think we’re super cool, like our Facebook page: facebook.com/caesura.iwu or follow our blog: caesuralitmag.wordpress.com.